You are here

» Algoma Missionary News (newspaper) series

Algoma Missionary News (newspaper) series

Description
Start Date: 
1897
End Date: 
1956
Date Range: 
1897-1956
Physical Description: 

.65 m of textual records

Arrangement: 
Chronogically
History Biographical: 

In 1874, the Reverend E. F. Wilson, founder and first principal of Shingwauk, was editor of the Algoma Missionary News. In 1878 he changed the name to The Peace Pipe, "an Ojibway newspaper published monthly at the Shingwauk Home." The subscription rate was 35 cents yearly. This paper was mainly a report of the work among missionary schools.

The paper was known successively as the Algoma Quarterly, then Algoma Missionary News and Shingwauk Journal, and finally Algoma Missionary News. At times during its career it carried advertising as well as news. Editors of the paper were clergymen, as follows: the Reverends E. F. Wilson, 1874-1889; G. H. Gaviller, 1889-1892; Charles Piercey, 1892, 1918, Frederick W. Colloton, 1918-1944 and Frank F. Nock, 1944-1956. Publication ceased in 1956.

Seemingly news of a missionary nature appropriate for a missionary newspaper had become scarce; the Diocese, for 60 years in part dependent upon grants from elsewhere as missionary territory, had become self-sustaining.

Thus it was in the time of Archbishop Wright that the Missionary News was replaced after an interval by the Algoma Anglican. In 1957 the Reverend J. E. Jordan was a leader in beginning the Algoma Anglican. It was expected that A. P. B. LePan would be editor, but he soon resigned, and the paper was produced by the combined efforts of James Meeks, of The Sudbury Star, and C. M. Fellman, of The North Bay Nugget.

       

Source:

"First Diocesan publication made its appearance in 1874", The Algoma Anglican 33, no. 3 (1986): 4-5. Algoma University Archives, 2013-086_001_1986Mar

Scope Content: 

Series comprises issues of the Our Forest Children (1889-1890), the Shingwauk Journal, and the Algoma Missionary News (1897-1956). Series is predominately comprised of issues of the Algoma Missionary News.

Notes: 

The Algoma Missionary News was was preceded by Our Forest Children and succeeded by the Algoma Anglican newspaper (1957-).

Associated Material: 

Copies of the Algoma Missionary News Volume 7, Issue 1 to Volume 12, Issue 12 are available via Early Canadiana Online: http://eco.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.8_04377?page=1

The Algoma University Archives also holds copies of the Algoma Anglican which succeeded the Algoma Missionary News as the primary newspaper for the Anglican Diocese of Algoma in 1957.

Algoma Anglican (newspaper) series, 2013-086.

Repository: 
aua
Admin
Custodial History: 

Accrual 2009-081 transferred from Laurentian University Archives to Algoma University in May 2009 by Ken Hernden and Robin Isard. Accrual 2015-016 transferred from Bishophurt to Algoma University by the Right Rev. Stephen Andrews in November 2014.

Access Restriction: 

No restrictions on access.

Repro Restriction: 

May be restrictions on use based on the terms of the Deposit Agreement, the Diocese's Policy on Privacy and Archives. Subject to all applicable privacy legislation.

Conservation: 

Basic conservation performed on series.

Geographic Access: 
Description Level: