1947-1971; predominately 1950-1960
Thematically by school and cronologically within school
The Order of Sisters of Charity of Montreal, formerly called The Order of Sisters of Charity of the Hôpital Général of Montreal and commonly known as the Grey Nuns of Montreal, is a Canadian order of Roman Catholic religious sisters. The order was founded in 1737 by Saint Marguerite d'Youville and three other women. In 1737, the Grey Nuns set up a home for the need and began caring for Montreal's disadvantaged.
The name Grey Nuns was initially given in mockery to the small group of grey nuns. In French the word for grey can also mean 'tipsy' and was used as a slur towards the nuns. Later, when the sisters became more established Marguerite d'Youville chose the name grey nuns to remind the sisters of their humble beginnings.
Collection comprises newsletters, yearbooks, and publications from Indian Residential Schools operated by the Grey Nuns. Schools included in this collection include: Fort Smith Indian Residential School, Fort Simpson Indian Residential School, Fort Resolution Indian Residential School, Beauval Indian Residential School, Grollier Hall, Our Lady of Victory Church, and Ile la Crosse Indian Residential School.
Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre