1. On April 21st 1885, Mrs. Roberta E. Tilton and several other women approached the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society in Ottawa, to help out with missionary work.They were given permission to form the (W.A.) Women's Auxiliary (to the Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada) so the first official Board was set in motion.
2. Mrs. Tilton chose the Motto, “The Love of Christ Constraineth”, the hymn of the same name became the official hymn for the W.A.
3. Branches then began to spring up in parishes, throughout churches all over Canada. Yearly conferences were held and executive members changed at regular intervals.
4. One of their first ministries was missionary work; such as sending bales to the North. The main focus of their ministry actually took place in the North as they set up Sunday schools, Medical Care and Education.
5. The ministry that was carried out by these women is legendary; and remains the foundation for the ministries of modern day women
6. In 1946, the W.A. President, Mrs. R.E. Wodehouse became the first woman delegate to General Synod.
7. In 1947, the Dominion Board resolved that the name should be "The Women’s Auxiliary of The Church of England in Canada".
8. In 1966, by resolution of General Synod and the acceptance by the Dominion Board, W.A. was amalgamated with other women's ministries such as Mother's Union, and Chancel Guild to come under the umbrella of Anglican Church Women. The units came together with varying and varied formats, some formally incorporated and others merely changing their names and continuing on with the basic structures and practices of W.A. The Women’s Unit at the National Church level administered them.
9. In 1992, this structure underwent changes when the Women's Unit was disbanded and the support of the ministry of women reverted to the Dioceses and parishes.
10. Diocesan Presidents continued to meet yearly as a Coordinators’ and Presidents’ Conference to discuss the various needs and concerns of Anglican Church Women and as a way of keeping the ministry of women connected across the country. The meetings continued to be held in a different diocese each year thus allowing every Diocesan President the opportunity to attend.
11. For many years there was no actual Executive to oversee the conference; there was a President who guided the meetings, a Vice President and a secretary was appointed each year and the funds were overseen by the General Synod.
12. As well, for many years a Newsletter called "The Connecting Link" kept Dioceses in touch with each other.
13. In 2001, at a conference in Surrey, B.C., outgoing President, Patsy Grant proposed needed changes to the executive. It was an election year and Patsy proposed we add a Treasurer and a Secretary to the executive. This was agreed to by the membership.
13. In 2003, the constitution was changed so that Treasurer’s term became five years.
14. In 2005, as Anglican Church Women incorporates more than the disbanded WA, a new motto “The Love of Jesus Calls Us” was adopted.
15. In 2006, the National Constitution and By-laws was established and adopted by the membership. The official name of the body which meets annually became The National Executive of Anglican Church Women of Canada, comprised of the Diocesan Presidents and Coordinators and the officers of the Executive are the President, Vice-President, Past President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
16. In September 2007, the hymn of the same name as our Motto, “The Love of Jesus Calls Us” was adopted as the official hymn of ACW; also a Logo was created and adopted as the official Logo for ACW. It is a golden Celtic cross with a red maple leaf, and the term ACW Canada is inscribed on it.
17. In 2009, a National Prayer was written and adopted, suitable for all Anglican women.
18. In 2010, an Anglican Church Women’s Trust Fund was established with the Anglican Foundation. The fund encourages and supports the ministry of Anglican Church Women and is administered by the National Executive.
19. In June 2010, Anglican Church Women of Canada was invited to address the General Synod, held in Halifax N.S.
20. 2011…....the Story continues as each Anglican woman exercises her faith-filled Ministry in response to Jesus’ love and call to her.