[Digitized 2004 (originally created 1940-1966)]
171 MB of graphic material. - 7 photographs (tiff)
St. Joseph's Residential School in Fort William, Ontario was open from 1870-1966, it was affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church and was operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Sault Ste Marie. The school was originally established as "The Orphan Asylum of Fort William" and was exclusively for girls. The original school was located on Fort William Indian Reserve, in 1907 the school moved to Franklin Street, Fort William. The school operated in conjunction with the orphanage run by the Sisters, both the orphanage and school were demolished in 1966.
Series comprises photographs of students, staff, and buildings at St. Joseph's Indian Residential School in Fort William, Ontario.
The photographs in this series were scanned/copied, in part, by Andrea Auger of the NAN IRS Research Unit from files located at the Oblate Centre du Patrimoine, la Société historique de Sainte-Boniface and the Impact Northern Ministries of Red Lake. Additional photographic material was provided by Josias Fiddler, Saul Day, and NAN Deputy Grand Chief Goyce Kakegamic
Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre