2.5 m of graphic material. - ca. 1000 photographs
Algoma University is a post-secondary institution in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada. Algoma University College officially opened in September 1967 as an affiliated college of Laurentian University in Sudbury Ontario. Algoma University College opened on the campus of Cambrian College (later Sault), it was limited to offering the first year of studies for Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degree programs.
In 1970 the Shingwauk Residential school closed. In 1971, Algoma University College and the newly formed Keewatinug Anishinabe Institute (later known as Shingwauk University) relocated to the Shingwauk site. In 1972 the college began to offer full three-year BAs and BSc programs.
Algoma's independence from Laurentian was proposed in 1994. On May 31, 2007 Ontario government introduced legislation to charter Algoma as a fully independent college. On June 18, 2008 this legislation was ratified and Algoma University received Royal Assent making the University completely independently.
Algoma University has developed as a university with a special mission for Aboriginal cross-cultural research and education. The results of this mission can be seen in the University's community partners, the establishment of the Residential School Research Centre, and ongoing interaction with Aboriginal communities.
Former names: Algoma College and Algoma University College.
Fonds comprises graphic material documenting the activities at Algoma University College. Fonds includes slides, negatives, and contact sheets.
Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre