18 cm of textual record and graphic material. - ca. 125 photographs
Thematically by item type
The Children's Aid Society (CAS) of Algoma was established in 1902 as the "Humane Society of Sault Ste. Marie." In 1912 CAS purchased the Wawanosh Home, which was previously a residential school for Aboriginal girls. The Wawanosh Home was transformed into a shelter. The CAS was incorporated in Sault Ste. Marie on February 18, 1937. At the time, the Society was registered as the Children’s Aid Society of Sault Ste. Marie and District of Algoma. In 1987 the Society’s Board of Directors endorsed the following Mission Statement: The purpose of the Children’s Aid Society is to protect the children of Algoma in a manner which reflects the community’s standards and the intent of related legislation while recognizing the Society’s human and financial limitations. The Board of Directors also decided to change the Society’s name to the Children’s Aid Society of Algoma” on March 6, 1987. In 1990, the mission statement of CAS was changed to reflect the multi-service nature of the Society's programs.
Fonds comprises photographs and documents relating to the activities of the Children' Aid Society of Algoma. Fonds includes pamphlets, a photo album, a ledger, a newspaper clipping scrapbook, and other material.
Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre