St. James’ Anglican Church (Gravenhurst, Ontario) was rebuilt and open for service on September 30th, 1888, one year after a disastrous fire burnt it down. St. James’ is the parish church for the St. James’ Anglican Parish of Gravenhurst, Ontario and is, administratively, a part of the Deanery of Muskoka within the Diocese of Algoma.
The earliest church records (Baptisms) date back to 1884. The new church building was consecrated by the Bishop of Algoma on Sunday, December 23, 1888. The new building was built for a total cost of $2,215.00, which was greatly funded through future church offerings. The proactive incumbent at the time was the Reverend W. T. Noble.
Early incumbents of St. James’ Anglican Church include: the Reverend Thomas Lloyd, the Reverend Alfred Osborne, the Reverend W. T. Noble, the Reverend William Henry French (1891-1894), the Reverend Charles John Machin (1894-?), the Reverend A. R. Mitchell (?-1901), the Reverend Caleb Henry Buckland (1901-1903), the Reverend Charles Wilkinson Healey (1903-1905), the Reverend Harold George King (1905-1908), the Reverend Alfred Percy Banks (1905-1911), the Reverend Percival Mayes (1912-?), the Reverend J. B. Lindsell, the Reverend Canon A. H. Allman, the Reverend Cyril Gordier, the Reverend J. W. Clayton, and the Reverend E. F. Pinnington (1935-?).
Sous fonds comprises documents recording the activities at St. James' Anglican Church, Gravenhurst, Ont. Includes parish registers, service registers, vestry minutes and reports, cash books, Girl's Auxiliary records, Brotherhood of St. Andrew records, Parish Association records, Women's Auxiliary/ Anglican Church Women records, and a minute book for St. John the Evangelist, Northwood, Ont.