1854-2008; predominant 1950-2008
.35 m of textual records; 12 photographs
Ian W. Brown was born in 1932 in Montreal, Quebec. He took his first two degrees, BA (Hist), 1953 and MA (Hist), 1959, at McGill University and his PhD (History) at Lehigh University in 1965. Brown taught History at Prince of Wales College, Prince Edward Island (now the University of Prince Edward Island) and served as its Chair of the Social Sciences Division until 1968. Brown served as Acting Principal at Algoma University College (AUC) for five years (1968-1973) and taught History at AUC until his retirement in 1990. Beloved by his peers and especially by his many students from Prince of Wales College and Algoma University College for both his administrative and teaching skills, "Doc Brown" has a class room (East Wing 205) dedicated in his honour at Algoma University.
Fonds comprises records that document Brown's activities as a graduate student and as a member of Algoma University's faculty. Includes research materials and some drafts for various book length projects including "The Ermatinger Family of Sault Ste. Marie," "50 Years of Labour in Algoma," a "History of Science in Relation to the Development of Western Society", as well as his 1965 Lehigh University dissertation, "The Anglican Evangelicals in British Poltics, 1780-1833;" correspondence, course syllabi, quizzes, tests and exams, documentation for Brown's 1988 OCUFA Teaching Award, information concerning the closure of Prince of Wales College and its amalgamation into UPEI, as well as Brown's report to Frontier College on teaching English to displaced European war refugees in the early 1950s.